Faskally House has been a feature in the Pitlochry area since 1831. A previous mansion on the land can be traced back to 1770. It was built and owned by the Butter family.
The House is in an ideal setting looking over Loch Faskally, with 67 acres of open fields and mature woodland extending along the Rivers Tummel and Garry in the beautiful countryside of Perthshire, in the "Heart of Scotland".
The name 'Faskally' is derived from the Gaelic (fas calaidh,) and means 'Stance by the Ferry'. It is probable that a small ferry over the river Tummel, just after it had been joined by the River Garry, would have operated here in previous centuries.
The original House was designed by William Burn and also extended in 1837 to Burn's specifications. It is described as "the earliest surviving house by Burn in Scots-Jacobean style, a mix of crow stepped gables, towers, broad mullioned windows and tall chimneys.
Since the Butters the estate has been owned by a number of private and public bodies culminating in the purchase by Glasgow District Council in 1971. Ownership passed to Strathclyde Regional Council due to local government restructures in 1976. During local government ownership it was run for educational and recreational purposes.
Faskally Christian Trust was established in 1993 – originally known as CYC Trust. The name was changed when the Trust purchased Faskally Estate in 1996. Since the purchase the Trust built a new Games Hall which was completed in 2002.The first of the many uses of Faskally House by its current owners, Faskally Christian Trust, took place on 25th-27th April 1997. About seventy young people came together for a weekend of fellowship and Bible teaching. To hear hearty singing echoing through the building, and to see the Word of God opened and taught to receptive young people, was a deeply moving experience for those who had waited on God to bring it all about.
In addition to the original objectives directed towards young people for summer camps and weekend activities, the Trust has developed other uses of the centre such as families’ holidays and midweek breaks throughout the year, and the Lord has greatly blessed the whole venture.